Hello again, everyone! last october/november, i've decided to join an indonesian baking club called 'KBB' which stands for 'Klub Berani Baking', perhaps that's also the reason why i am interested in food blogging. hehe. and this month i've received my first task, a task which also my trial to know whether i am qualified to join KBB or not. this month's challenge is to make 'Mud Cake Cookies Sandwiches'..
the other thing i learn from the members is that this cookies and mud-cake are too sweet, so i did reduce the sugar in a wise amount, it's up to your taste actually. i forgot how much sugar i reduced. hehehe. but as far as i could remember, it's almost more than 50% in the cookies and 25% in the mud cake. :p
Source: The AWW: Cupcakes, Cheesecakes, Cookies. 2008
Chocolate Mud Cake
150g butter, chopped
100g dark eating chocolate, chopped coarsely
220g caster sugar
2 Tbs coffee liqueur
150g plain flour
2 Tbs cocoa powder
2 egg yolks
Combine butter, chocolate, sugar the water and liqueur in small saucepan. Stir over low heat until smooth. Place mixture in medium bowl; cool 10 minutes. Whisk in sifted flour and cocoa, then egg yolks. Divide mixture among pans. Bake about 25 minutes. Cool cake in pans. Using 6.5cm round cutter, cut 12 rounds from each cake.
200g dark eating chocolate, chopped coarsely
Bring cream to a boil in small saucepan; remove from heat. Add chocolate; stir until smooth. Refrigerate until spreadable.
250g butter, softened
330g firmly packed brown sugar
450g plain flour
75g self-raising flour
50g cocoa powder
2 Tbs cocoa powder, extra
- Preheat oven to 170C/150C fan-forced. Grease two 20cm x 30cm lamington pans; line with a strip of baking paper, extending paper 2cm above edges of pans.
- Make chocolate mud cake.
- Make chocolate ganache.
- Beat butter, sugar and eggs in small bowl with electric mixer until combined. Transfer mixture to large bowl; stir in sifted flours and cocoa, in two batches. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth; divide in half, roll each portion between sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. cover; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease oven trays; line with baking paper.
- Using 6.5mm round cutter, cut 48 rounds from dough. Place about 3cm apart on oven trays. Bake about 12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
- Spread ganache onto underside of cookies; sandwich a mud cake round between two cookies.
- Using heart template, dust cookies with extra cocoa
what happened in my kitchen?
- i added 1/2 cup chopped walnut to the mud-cake batter
- i also let my mud-cake underbaked, i baked it only for 10-15 minutes
- i used 4cm cookie cutter
- i didn't use the 20x30 cm lamington pans, i used 30x30cm and bake it in 1 batch
- i only made 1/4 portions of the ganache and it is perfectly enough for me
- i used caster sugar to dust my cookies instead of cocoa powder
so that's my post about my first KBB task. hope i can do better in my next task.. hehe. thanks for reading! :)