but though my matcha crumbles on top of my flan, it really gives me some kind of bitter-sweet taste to counter the sweetness of the caramel and the flan..
few drops of lemon juice
- preserve 4-6 ramekins. preheat the ovens to 160 degree Celcius or 325 degree Fahrenheit.
- to make the caramel, place sugar with the water over a medium-high heat and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. boil until the syrup turns a deep golden brown. immediately remove from the heat and squeeze in a few drops of lemon juice. divide evenly between the ramekins and swirl around. set aside.
- to make the flan, pour the milk into a saucepan. add in the sugar. sift in the matcha powder, stir until they evenly incorporated. heat until just below boiling point. add in the vanilla extract.
- beat the eggs and egg yolks together in a bowl until thick and pale. pour the milk mixture over them, whisking. then transfer and divide evenly between the ramekins.
- bake the flan au bain marie for 1 until 1 1/4 hours. leave to cool completely. cover with clingfilm and leave to chill for at least overnight.
- loosen the edges each ramekins with a tip of a knife. place an up-turned serving plate with a rim on top, then invert the plate and ramekins, giving a sharp shake halfway over. lift off the the ramekins and serve.
- i've told you before about the matcha thing. haha.