festive title, isn't it? actually what i made is a strawberry cheesecake with meringue topping, but this is quite different than the usual. what makes it different? keep reading and you'll find. :)
guess what! i have a confession to make. i am a person who easily-obsessed with something new and wonderful. and do you know what's my obsession right now? masterchef, junior masterchef to be precise. i'm a tv-series addict and this show just became a hit in my life recently. it's late though, i've known who's the winner before i finished watching the show. i keep streaming and streaming instead of studying for my upcoming exams. it's just so fantastic, too fantastic. those children must be born with a natural talent on cooking. they're so little, so young, but they all can create wonderful many type of dishes. i am older than them but no better than them, what a shame! i should learn so much from them.
this show is very inspiring for me, all the type of test: invention taste, pressure test, taste test; i wish i could join all of it. i keep wondering will i survive during the test, haha. so i was like putting my self in that sort of game right lately. i did the invention taste on my own. i couldn't do the pressure test because i'm the only one cooking here. taste test, well, not yet. as the result of my own invention taste, i made this strawberry cheesecake. this turns out good, real good, my little brother likes it so much. i think he loves meringue. back to the junior masterchef topic, i visited its site and found so many wonderful recipes there. i think i'll start copying them one by one asap. or maybe i should post them under 'Junior Masterchef' label. i really should think about it.
now about this cheesecake, what makes this strawberry cheesecake different from the usual strawberry cheesecake is because i pureed the strawberries and add it to my cheesecake batter. because of the puree, the cheesecake turns pink. i topped it with baked meringue and base it with biscuit base. this is a chilled cheesecake, so it is easier to make. simply delicious.
Pink Cheesecake with Meringue
serves 4 small servings
75 gr graham crackers, crumbed
25 gr butter, melted
2 tbsp oatmeal
125 gr cream cheese
75 gr whipping cream
50 gr strawberries, pureed
2 tbsp boiling water
2 tsp gelatin powder / agar powder
50 gr icing sugar
1 egg white
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
- base: mix together all the ingredients, spoon them in a serving ramekins and level them until even.
- cheese mixture: softened the cream cheese using spatula. meanwhile whip the whipping cream until stiff peaks form. mix together with powdered sugar.
- puree the strawberries and dissolve teaspoons of agar / gelatin in the boiling water. mix the puree and gelatin mixture into the cream cheese.
- pour the cream cheese mixture over the base. chill in the refrigerator for about 3-4 hours or until set.
- meringue top: make a simple syrup by boiling water and sugar together until the sugar dissolve and let it simmer until thickens but not browned. meanwhile, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, continue mixing while gradually pour in the syrup. beat until soft and shiny.
- spoon over the cheesecake. bake under the preheated grill until meringue are golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.
thanks for reading everyone, have a nice day! :)