maybe some of you don't know about this biscuits. it's famous in Indonesia though, i don't know where the name comes from because it doesn't sound Indonesian at all. perhaps the name comes from Dutch because there are many Indonesian cakes using sound-like-Dutch name. for example: klappertaart, onbitjkoek, and this kaastengel.
when it comes to Christmas or Eid, cookies and biscuits always seen in almost every house. Kaastengel is kind of a must have one, the other is Nastar and Cats' Tongue. actually, kaastengel is almost a savory biscuit with parmesan or edam cheese as the main ingredients. this is my first time making kaastengel but it turns out great. all my family members love this, moreover they can't stop nibbling at this biscuit when they're watching television, except me. i don't like savory biscuits, i prefer the sweet one.
the recipe was originally from Anchor but i found it through Mbak Anne Vijaya's blog. the recipe makes a crisp and very tasty biscuit. i'll simply put it on top of the favorite cookies recipes. at least even though i won't make it to satisfy my appetite, it could make other people happy. i know a lot of people who loves kaastengel as much as i love Cashew Sandies (Putri Salju in Indonesian). they'll be thrilled with this recipe.
adapted from Anchor
150 gr butter
150 gr Edam or Parmesan cheese, grated
225 gr all purpose flour
2 egg yolks
extra grated cheese for the top of the cookie
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp milk
to make egg wash: combine all the ingredients and beat them until just evenly incorporated.
- grease a baking tray with butter or simply line it with parchment paper.
- beat butter and yolks until pale and fluffy.
- add in flour and cheese. mix until evenly incorporated and form into a ball.
- roll the dough about 5 mm thick. shape with cookie cutter. arrange them on the prepared baking tray. chill in the refrigerator for about 15 - 20 minutes.
- preheat the oven to 180 degree C.
- remove from the fridge, brush with the egg wash. topped the brushed biscuits with the extra grated cheese.
- bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.