hello readers, start from this month, i will give you a special monthly treat. what is it? it's indonesian traditional sweets. actually this is supposed to be a monthly event between me and TaBon, but she will give you the indonesian traditional foods while i do the desserts. this indonesian sweets post will be featured on the beginning of every month. and here come the first one! yay!
this kue pepe (read: coo-way peppay) has two original version, with more sago flour or with more rice flour. the difference is if using more sago flour you'll end up having a more elastic and transparent layers but chewy as well. on the other hand, if you use more rice flour, you'll end up having easier-to-tear-layers, but not chewy. my father and my grandma prefer the rice flour versions, while i personally love the sago flour versions. why? because it reminds me of my childhood.
when i was little, i used to be given this kue pepe by either my mom or dad whenever they visited traditional cake seller. and i love the color of this cake: chocolate, white, topped with red. always always always love the slightly thicker red one. but my most favorite part of this cake is eating it, up until now whenever i eat this cake, i eat it layer by layer , i always separate each layer and stretch it into a long ribbon before putting it in my mouth. lol. i just love this habit and i want to share it with all of you. i hope my habit will become contagious to all of you whenever you eat kue pepe.
400 ml coconut milk
2 pandan leaves
1 tsp salt
150 gr sago flour
75 gr rice flour
100 gr sugar
1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp red food coloring
- grease a small loaf pan with a little oil . preheat the steamer.
- sift sago flour and rice flour into a medium bowl, add in sugar.
- heat coconut milk with pandan leaves and salt. bring to almost boiling point. remove from heat, let cool slightly.
- gradually pour coconut milk into the dry ingredients little by little, whisking continuously. mixture should be very smooth and light, not heavy.
- pour 200 ml of the batter into a measuring cup. sift cocoa powder, add into the measuring cup. whisk until smooth and mixture become evenly colored.
- using a laddle, pour the plain mixture into the loaf pan, make sure you make a very thin layer. steam for about 3 minutes. then pour the same amount of the chocolate mixture into the pan using a laddle as well. steam for another 3 minutes, and keep doing the same thing until all the chocolate batter run out.
- laddle the last white mixture with the same amount as the previous layers, steam for another 3 minutes. reserve the remaining white batter, add in red food coloring and stir until evenly colored. pour the red batter on top of the cake, steam for another 30 minutes.
- remove from heat. take out the pan from the steamer, let cool slightly for about 10 minutes. loosen the sides of the pan, take out the cake and put on a wire rack. let cool completely.
- once the cake has cooled completely, trim the edges, slice and serve.
now you've read the recipe, care for a try?
tell me what do you think..
thanks for reading everyone!
have a superb day!