1/2 cup sugar (100gr)
2 tbsp water (30 ml)
2 cups whole milk (500ml)
1 cup heavy cream (250ml)
5 egg yolks
pinch of salt
- stir the sugar and water in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. increase the heat and cook until it becomes a caramel of deep amber color (do not overcook, it'll taste bitter). lower the heat.
- add the milk into the burnt sugar. it will bubble like mad but continue stirring until the mixture is smooth, remove from the heat. add in the cream and stir until combined.
- in a large bowl, whip the egg yolks and salt until pale and thick. slowly pour the hot milk mixture over it and whisk to temper the yolks.
- put the mixture back into the saucepan and cook until it coats the back of a wooden spoon and leave a trace when you draw it with your finger (creme anglaise consistency or 170 deg C).
- let cool completely and refrigerate until very cold (preferably overnight). process the ice according to your ice-cream maker manufacturer's instructions. freeze for two hours or more or until firm to scoop.
thanks for reading.. :)