1 cup (200gr) sugar
1/3 cup (90ml) water
3 tbsp cornstarch/cornflour
1 tbsp custard powder
2 cups (500ml) milk
4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract (essence)
- butter a 12-cup muffin pan.
- cut twelve pastry rounds, fit into the prepared muffin pans and refrigerate.
- filling: heat the sugar and water in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- combine the cornstarch, custard powder, and 1/4 cup (60ml) of milk in a medium bowl, stirring until smooth. add the remaining milk, egg yolks, and vanilla, stirring until combined.
- pour the egg mixture into the sugar syrup and cook over low heat, stirring until thickened.
- transfer the custard into a medium bowl, cover with parchment paper, and refrigerate until cool.
- preheat the oven to 425 degree F (220 degree C / gas mark 7).
- spoon the custard filling into the prepared pastry bases.
- bake for 30 minutes, or until custard is set and the tops have browned slightly.
- allow the tarts to cool a little in the pans before transferring to a rack. serve warm.