- preheat the oven to 200 deg C or 400 deg F. cream the buter, sugar and lemon rind in a mixing bowl. add the egg yolks and flour and beat in, then add the milk and 3 tbsp of lemon juice and mix well.
- whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff, then add the rest of the mixture. mix it all well but don't over mix it. pour into a buttered ovenproof dish, stand the dish in a roasting thin about a third full of water, then baked in your preheated oven for about 45 minutes until the top is set and spongy and has a nice golden color.
- i think i over-baked mine. so don't let them overbaked otherwise you won't have the lemon curdy custard under the spongy meringue.
- i substituted self raising flour with 55 gr all purpose flour + 1/4 tsp baking soda + 1/4 tsp baking powder.
- i substituted vanilla sugar with 115 gr sugar + 1/4 vanilla pod, scraped seeds.
thanks for reading and happy baking! :)