on 28th, my mom's birthday.. i made strawberry cheesecake for her. hey, you know, this is another pretty success baked cheesecake. i made them from new york cheesecake recipe and topped them with glazed strawberries.
another new experience for me, using blowtorch. blame me for not knowing how to use it properly. haha. i can't make it blow it's torch continuously, whenever i try to light it, it just light in a very short time and vanished. i just knew that i should push the orange button this morning after reading Mbak Rina's blog. :)
New York Cheesecake
adapted from 35 Variasi Resep-Resep Cheesecake, YasaBoga
120 gr digestive biscuits / crackers, crushed
75 gr unsalted butter
375 gr cream cheese, at room temperature
100 gr sour cream
125 gr caster sugar
15 gr all purpose flour
1 egg yolk
2 tsp grated lemon zest
- prepare one 18 cm springform pan and a larger pan for au bain marie. preheat the oven to 175 degree C.
- in a medium sized bowl, combine the biscuit crumbs with butter until evenly incorporated. press the crumbs evenly over the bottom and about 1cm up the sides of the springform pan. cover and refrigerate while you make the filling.
- for the filling: beat in the cream cheese and sugar with electric mixer on low speed until the sugar dissolve, add flour, beat well. add the eggs, one at a time, and add the additional egg yolk, continue beating until mixed thoroughly. add in the lemon zest and sour cream, beat evenly. pour into the prepared crumbs based springform pan.
- bake for about 60 minutes with the au bain marie method. turn off the oven when all the edges of the cake looks firm but the center (about 5cm in diameters) still looks wet or wobbly. cool slightly in the oven and then refrigerate with the pan overnight.
2 cups strawberries, washed and hulled
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cold water
1 dash salt
1.5 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp unsalted butter
- pick over the berries and choose a cupful of the prettiest ones. set aside.
- crush the remaining berries and place in a saucepan with sugar, water, salt, and cornstarch. bring to a boil. reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. stirring constantly. stir in the butter, cool slightly.
- arrange the uncooked berries on top of the cake. spoon the glaze over all. chill for several hours.