I have been going AWOL for too long since 2012. i am sorry. So many things have happened and maybe you are not that interested to know what it was all about. Because really it's not that interesting either. Lol. Anyway, who cares, i am here now, blogging again. Let's make this year counts. This post was meant to show you all one very sophisticated traditional indonesian cake. The oh-so-famous thousand layer cake or lapis legit. Some people make and eat this cake only on some special occasions, due to the labor and expensive ingredients if you made it yourself and if you buy it, the cost will be doubled or even tripled.
This was actually KBB challenge for last month, making lapis legit. I have tried to make them several times last year and none of them succeed. Just when KBB challenged me to, it came to a success. I am that type of girl who can easily be excited just because of small things, such as this successful lapis legit i made. I don't care if it's still not that perfect, i love it, at least it is cakey and it is still taste really good just like store-bought lapis legit and it is actually a huge progress from the last lapis legit i was trying to make. It's pretty dense, almost layered perfectly, a little too sweet, and quite less spekkoek scent.. or i can say, some moments later i feel a little hatred to the cake i made. It has to be perfect! So the next morning i made it again just to make everything better and lovelier, and BAM! I failed again, it was worse than what i have made.. thankfully i still have some picture of the almost perfect cake, and i have learned some tips and tricks about how to make it to perfection. I am just not that eager to try it now since i still have so many leftover egg whites in my fridge. But i will revisit this cake again real soon.
** I cut the recipe down to quarter, because i feel this is still some kind of trial and error things, i should not take the risk of throwing away 30 egg yolks. so i made this with 7 egg yolks only, bake it in 12cm round cake pan so the layer will still end up quite much. you could email me for the actual recipe (translated to english) or just visit KBB's Blog (in indonesian).
modified from Primarasa
1/2 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
7 egg yolks
50gr caster sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp low protein flour
1 tsp cornflour
1 tsp spekkoek powder
- Prepare 12cm round pan, 5-7cm deep. Line with greaseproof paper.
- Cream butter, margarine, and condensed milk until very light and fluffy and tripled in volume. set aside in a cool dry place.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until stiff and very light and stable in volume with electric mixer. it will take about 10-15 minutes.
- fold in the butter mixture gradually in 3 parts. fold carefully just until evenly incorporated. your batter should not curdled and separated. fold in flour.
- weigh the batter 25gr per layer, bake the first layer with 180*C until golden brown. turn off the heat, change the setting to broil or grill. add another layer, bake each layer with grill setting until golden brown on the surface, then add and bake another layer with the same settings until you ran out of batter.
- when all the layers has been poured, change the oven setting to bake and bake for another 5-10 minutes until the cake is completely baked and until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.