by the time you read this post, i am sure i have already arrived in Bali. yup, i am going on a vacation! i will be in Bali for 5 days. looks like i'm gonna have so much stories and photos and foods to tell and report to all of you. yayy! hopefully i can freeze almost every wonderful moment i will have there. but today is my last day in Jakarta before i go on my holiday trip, so let me just quickly tell you what's on the menu today...
it's the super moist super chocolatey rich chocolate brownie. this cake was so famous here a few years ago, should i say this is one of Indonesian cake creation. we love steamed cakes. what makes this cake special is the richness of the chocolate and due to the steaming process, all the steam trapped inside the cake which makes it extremely moist and decadent. moreover, we usually add some real chocolate in between the cake layer. some use chocolate rice but yesterday i went smart with a rich chocolate ganache. it was magical.
the key to success on steaming cake batter is you must make sure your steamer has already very hot and the water has boiled madly. be careful not to use high heat which can make your cake deflate by the time you remove it from the heat. just use medium heat and to prevent my cake deflating, i usually let my cake rest in the steamer with the heat off for about 10-15 minutes. i always love steamed cake due to its moisture, it is so satisfying and comforting..
recipe modified from NCC-Indonesia
100 gr sugar
1 tsp cake emulsifier
1/4 tsp salt
25 gr cocoa powder
75 gr cake flour
1/4 tsp vanilla powder
75 gr butter
50 gr dark cooking chocolate
1/4 tsp rum flavoring extract**
1 qty dark chocolate ganache***
- prepare 18x18cm square baking pan, grease with butter and line with parchment paper, grease the parchment paper. preheat your steamer.
- melt butter and dark cooking chocolate together in a bowl, over the pan of simmering water. careful not to let the bowl touch the water.
- sift flour, cocoa powder, and vanilla. set aside.
- using electric mixer, mix together eggs, emulsifier, gradually add sugar and salt. mix until batter have tripled in volume and reached the ribbon stage.
- add dry ingredients and chocolate-butter mixture into the eggs mixture, fold carefully until evenly incorporated.
- divide batter into two. pour 1 part of batter into the pan and steam for about 10 minutes.
- pour the ganache over the first cooked part followed by another part of batter. steamed for another 15 - 20 minutes.
- turn the heat off, let cool in the steamer for 10-15 minutes.
***dark chocolate ganache
1/4 cup dark cooking chocolate, finely chopped
1/4 cup heavy cream
- heat the cream until almost boiling, pour over the chocolate. stir until evenly mixed. let cool and set a little before using.
**rum flavoring extract: is a paste with transparent color and strong scent of rum. because it doesn't contain alcohol, the smell of rum doesn't evaporate when the cake is being cooked. widely available in the cake ingredients store around my place.
soo... that's all for today!
thanks for reading!
have a nice summer holiday.. :D