i've been curious with this recipe for about one year, it's rainbow steamed cake. i used to love this cake when i was so little and as far as i could remember, this is the first cake my grandma made for me. this past one year, i've tried to make this three times and this is the third. the first one and the second one were fail because of the coconut milk. this time i learn from the past and also use a new recipe. NCC's recipes never fail me so far, so i think it's best to use it as a reference guide.
this rainbow steamed cake's taste is really similar too rainbow chiffon cake. they only differ in texture, as you know chiffon cake is really light and soft while this steamed cake is not that light. what i love most about this cake is because of the colors, though maybe it sounds silly but i always have my appetite turned on rainbow colors cake. do you feel the same?
Rainbow Steamed Cake
modified from NCC's Bolu Kukus Mambo
1 egg yolk
125 gr sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
90 ml thick coconut milk, cooked
100 gr minus 1 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tbsp cornstarch
pandan paste and strawberry paste
- heat up steamer on low heat, cover the lid with towel. grease a small rectangle pan, dust with a little flour and line with parchment paper.
- beat eggs, yolk, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt together in a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed until very thick and lemon color.
- sift in flour and cornstarch alternating with coconut milk. fold the mixture until evenly incorporated.
- divide the batter into third. flavor one of them with pandan paste, another with strawberry paste, and the other one let plain.
- pour the first color in pan, steam for 10 minutes. spoon the next color carefully, steam for another 10 minutes. spoon the last color and steam for another 20 minutes.
- remove from heat, let cake cool down in the steamer before removing it out. slice and serve.
may the rainbow color your day.. :)