what so hard about leaving your holiday is adjusting your usually laid-back day back into rush-rush day. that's what has been happening to my self this week. school has started and my dearly beloved best friend has gone back to seattle. holiday is officially over. but the great thing is my favorite tv shows are coming back in its new season because summer break is over *big grin*. anyhow, last wednesday managed my self to bake a cake to remind me that even though i have started my busy routine again, i will always have time for doing things i love.
this cake is the traditional Indonesian cheesecake. i have been wanting to make this cake from months ago and i kept skipping it with another baked goods. thankfully this time, a friend kindly requested me to make this tasty and moist cake. this cheesecake is different from the western cheesecakes. it is basically a super rich and moist sponge cake covered with buttercream and grated cheddar cheese. it may sound funny to eat a sweet cake with salt cheddar cheese. you know what, that's the thing that make this cheesecake so rich and tasty. the saltiness from the cheddar cheese elevates the sweetness and the richness from the sponge cake and they will melt in your mouth playfully. i love this classic cake so much.
however, there's one little thing i regret when i made this cheesecake. look at my sponge! it doesn't look very decent right?! first of all, i think i might set the oven temperature a little too high on the beginning and my cake browned too quickly. i quickly lowered the temperature and suddenly my (used to be) super high cake sinked slowly.. but fortunately it didn't really ruined but it should actually rise a little higher than this picture below. there will definitely be a next time for me to make this again, perfectly. high and not that brown. so, for anyone of you and especially for my friend, Rini, who has been waiting for the recipe, here's the recipe.... :D
Traditional Indonesian Cheesecake (Bolu Keju)
adapted from Indonesia Patiserrie School
4 egg yolks
30gr cake flour
1 tsp (5gr) milk powder
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
50gr unsalted butter, melted
1/2 tsp sweeetened condensed milk
50gr unsalted butter
25gr icing sugar
1 tsp rum
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
200gr grated cheddar cheese
- line two 15cm cake pan with approximately 7 cm depth with baking paper, do not grease. preheat the oven to 170 degree C.
- melt butter with sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract. stir evenly, let cool and set aside. meanwhile, sift all the dry ingredients except sugar in a small bowl, set aside.
- beat all the eggs and yolks together using electric mixer in a large mixing bowl, gradually add sugar until tripled in volume. continue beating until the mixture become very pale and thick.
- gradually add sifted dry ingredients into the egg mixture, fold carefully by each addition. add melted butter into the batter, fold carefully with spatula just until incorporated.
- bake in the preheated oven for 30-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. remove from heat and let cool on wire rack.
- buttercream: beat butter and margarine using electric hand mixer until very pale in color. gradually add the icing sugar, beat until reach the right consistency. add in rum and vanilla extract.
- assembling: when the cake has cooled down, cut the cake in half. sandwich the cake with buttercream frosting and a little of the grated cheddar cheese. cover the cake with buttercream and coat thickly with grated cheddar cheese on every side.
so i guess, that's all for today everybody! i hope you really enjoy the recipe!
thanks for reading!
HAPPY BAKING :)